04 December 2009

I've Been Thinking About You Since My Apartment...

"I've been thinking about you since My Apartment" - he said to her

As I read this, my lungs tightened as my chest caved in and shattered my ribcage. I felt winded. I began to cry. He told me it meant nothing. But I know that everything means something, and as I fell to my knees and my face split open; as the "I love yous" fell carelessly from his mouth; and the rain crashed above my head straight through the roof...
I felt hope.

I was going to work that night. And thank God for that.

Why Radio?

I got into my car completely disoriented. I couldn't look him in the eye as his poor attempt to be sorry spilled through the glass. I started the engine and pulled out, straight into rush hour traffic on the Gardiner headed into Toronto. I flipped the Kiss switch to hear Adam Wylde joking with crazed Justin Bieber fans before he threw on "According To You" - Orianthi ..great timing Adam lol. The flashing of people hitting the brakes put me into a dizzy. I began thinking about what I just read, over and over

"I've been thinking about you since My Apartment".

..the other girl

And aparently as much as he hasn't been thinking about me, I let myself back into thinking about him. But only for another minute because Adam W. drew me in with a line and sinker with his next on-air banter, and I was hooked. The tears fell away and stopped circling my eyes, as a smile formed so delicately on my face like a rainbow after the thunder. Buddy had me smiling as he next sent Lady Gaga ripping through my speakers.

I parked my car and headed upstairs to the Kiss 92.5 studios. How the hell was I supposed to answer phones and listen to happy Kiss fans and take their requests and not come across as a complete BITCH, after everything that happened? Simple.
The host was bursting with energy and enthusiasm. A couple other people had joined us just to hang out in the studio and by the end of the first half/hour I was laughing! Answering phones to fans saved my night. One girl that I had spoken a few days earlier about Twilight: New Moon, had called back to tell me that she finally saw it and wanted to tell me her review! I was thrilled. And for a moment. I didn't feel alone.

Funny thing. I didn't even feel like I was at work. I felt like I was in therapy, however I was the only one that knew it that way. So I chit-chatted with the studio peeps, the host and all the fans by phone and by the end of the night the waterworks had almost completely dried up.

All Hail the Power of Radio.

Radio. So I made a career out of  it and now I suppose I can change my Kiss 92.5 birthname from "Krystle The Phone Hottie" to Krystle Kay in my new radio home in Alberta. Creative Writer position, eehyyo! I love radio. And read between the lines here its not a heartbreak story. Its a radio story. Radio makes me FEEL GOOD. And thats why I'm doing it. Taking the plunge and starting my life in radio. I was afraid to split out to the middle of nowhere 2 provinces over from my hometown. But this recent event at Kiss gives me confidence and excites me for what's to come.

As for that guy.
I've been thinking about you since...
Well now I cant remember.


Krystle Kay xx