02 August 2010

Peanuts and Crackerjacks


Wait a minute.
This wasn't supposed to happen.
I wasn't supposed to like you.
I wasn't supposed to miss you.

No, honestly.
Hold on a second.
I'm not there.

I chose to be here, but it wasn't supposed to be like this.
It wasn't supposed to be...like this.

I miss the trees. The pink flowers behind my house that welcomed me and my cup of coffee to the deck in the mornings. Someone told me what they were called once. I forget now. But they were beautiful.
I miss the mornings themselves. The sun was always warm and skipped along the tips of the large trees. Pines and Evergreens, their beauty truly found when frosted white in the winter.
I miss breakfast. Breakfast before work with Katie. Breakfast on sundays. Even sometimes, breakfast at dinner. I miss breakfast. I miss when you'd show up for breakfast. "Put on the coffee" you'd say and I would, even though I knew you didn't drink it. I miss you too.
I miss baseball. I really don't know why I miss baseball. Joining was only another attempt to like you and teach myself to stay.
But I didn't like you and I didn't want to stay.
But now I'm here.
Faced with limbo and pocket full of sand from the beach I laid on once when the overcast held off until eight.

Wait a god damn minute.
This wasn't supposed to happen.
I wasn't supposed to miss you.


Krystle Kay